In 1928, while opening the Trent Building and University Park, Sir Jesse Boot wrote that:
…in each succeeding age the University will spread the light of learning and knowledge and will bind science and industry in the unity that is so essential for the prosperity of the nation and the welfare of our fellow citizens.
That vision still has currency. It speaks to ambition, engagement, partnership, civic responsibility and longevity and the values on which it is built remain at the heart of the University.
While our core values remain the same, almost 90 years of globalisation and technological developments make the world a different place, which is reflected in our vision and Global Strategy 2020.
Our vision for 2020
The University of Nottingham – an inspiring place of learning and scholarship that transforms lives through:
- Offering an outstanding, broad-based, international education to talented students
- Developing skilled, reflective global citizens and leaders
- Undertaking fundamental and transformative discovery
- Being committed to excellence, enterprise and social responsibility
- Sustaining and improving the places and communities in which we are located
- Being engaged internationally to enhance industry, health and well-being, policy formation, culture and purposeful citizenship
Our Global Strategy 2020 sets out goals and actions that target areas of challenge while laying the foundations for on-going success into the future. Informed by analysis, reflection and broad engagement we have determined we need to consolidate and enhance our position as a world-leading University and:
- Strengthen and enrich our core activities of Education and Research
- Address the changing expectations of our students
- Target investment in research strengths
- Focus on enhancing quality
- Continue to differentiate The University of Nottingham on the basis of an outstanding student experience and our distinct approach to internationalisation
Download the University of Nottingham Global Strategy 2020
Download the University of Nottingham Global Strategy 2020 in Chinese
Download the Global Strategy Review and Refresh (published in July 2017)
Request a copy
To request printed copies of Global Strategy 2020 please complete the web request form or contact the Strategy 2020 team directly.
For staff, further information and supporting resources are available via the Strategy Support Centre.