Our new mentoring schemes offer Nottingham alumni the opportunity to provide meaningful career support to current students and fellow alumni.
Mentoring develops via remote contact over the academic year, giving participants time to benefit from their mentor's professional experience and knowledge.
- Develop your mentoring and communication skills
- Enhance your CV with invaluable volunteering experience
- Reinforce your own knowledge of your sector
- Shape the future talent of the international job market
- Give back to the University community
What to expect
As a Career Mentor you can expect:
- to have a mentee by December
- regular contact with your mentee, either by email, phone or video-call
- ongoing support from the Mentoring Team
Around 1 hour per month, including:
- Compulsory online training
- monthly mentoring sessions with your mentee, ensuring they are making progress
- Mentoring preparation and feedback
Hear from a previous mentor
Food Science, 2016
Marks & Spencers
"I offered careers advice and work placements to my mentee Jemima, as she was keen to gain as much practical experience as possible. I look forward to supporting her throughout university and beyond"
Find out more - check out the Career Mentor Agreement
The mentee journey
Food Science student
Mentee since 2017, seeking insights into the nutrition and food sectors
"My mentor refined my CV and module selections, and organised meaningful work experience that future employers would find invaluable. Thanks to Sam, I now have a clear plan of action"
Are you a current student seeking a mentor? Contact the Careers and Employability Service
When will I know if i've been selected as a mentor?
There are two mentoring schemes, each with different timings:
- Career Mentoring (current students): Mentors will be notified by the end of August if they have been successful, with student mentee matching in November
- Career Mentoring (alumni): Mentors will be notified by the end of August if they've been selected for the Autumn scheme, or at the end of February for the Spring scheme (with alumni mentee matching in late September/early March respectively)
Once you've decided on which scheme to take part in (student, alumni or both), please submit your application form below.
Or if you have questions please email us
Apply by 31st July
If you would like to be mentored find out more...