Alumni to alumni mentoring
"The delicate balance of mentoring someone is not creating them in your own image, but giving them the opportunity to create themselves" – Steven Spielberg
What is mentoring?
Our alumni mentoring programme is a flexible scheme that you can take part in from work or home, wherever in the world you are based. It's open to all Nottingham graduates and you can take part as a mentor or a mentee.
As a mentor, the scheme allows you to connect with students or fellow alumni to share your career experiences and expertise. And as a mentee, we'll find the right mentor to help you hone your skills and progress in your career.
Becoming a mentee
"This is a great scheme! My interests and needs have been recognised to make a good match. My mentor has lots of experience in my field of interest and always makes time for me when I need it."
As a Nottingham graduate, you have access to a wide range of knowledge and experience from fellow alumni. Becoming a mentee will be perfect for you if you're:
- A young professional
- Looking to progress in your career or considering a career change
- Curious about other industries where your skills and expertise may be transferable
- Looking for advice from a fellow member of your alumni community
The Autumn 2018 scheme is now closed for applications. The Spring 2019 scheme will open in December.
Find out more about being a mentee
Becoming a mentor
"It's been a great experience so far with my mentee. He's an enthusiastic graduate who is very capable of obtaining a high calibre job in future – but it's a two-way exchange and I've learnt a lot from him too."
Mentoring a student or graduate is an invaluable opportunity to make a difference. Being a mentor will suit you if you're someone who:
- Can provide career advice and support
- Can help their mentee to find the right direction and develop solutions to career issues
- Wants to help their mentee realise their potential and capitalise on their strengths
- Would like to play an supportive role in a graduate's professional life
Find out more about being a mentor
Timeline for Autumn 2018 mentoring
- Thursday 12 July 2018 – Applications open to take part in the autumn 2018 programme
- Friday 7 September 2018 – Deadline for applications
- Friday 28 September 2018 – Successful applicants contacted
- Week commencing Monday 17 October 2018 – Compulsory mentoring webinar workshop via Adobe Connect
- Monday 17 October 2018 – The mentoring programme begins with mentees contacting mentors
- Mid November 2018 – First check in
- Early January 2019 – Second check in
- End of January 2019 – Programme close
Got a question?
If you are interested in mentoring and would like further information, you can speak to a member of our team:
Other ways to get involved