Postgraduate applicants’ area
  • Print

Information for international students

As an international or EU student you may have further conditions to meet to secure your place and begin your studies. Please check the conditions of your offer to see if this applies to you.


As an international student you may need to follow all four steps below - your offer will outline most requirements.


Provide evidence of your English language ability

If your offer is conditional on you achieving a certain level of English language ability, we may ask you to provide evidence of an approved English language test, and can usually verify your scores for approved tests online. Results must be dated no more than two years before the start of your course.

More about recognised English language qualifications.

If you need to improve your English before the start of your programme, our Centre for English Language Education (CELE) offers full-time presessional English courses.

Apply for your ATAS clearance

Some courses require you to obtain Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) clearance from the UK government before applying for your visa. If this applies to you, Admissions will email your ATAS statement to you along with instructions on how to apply. The earliest this will be sent is six months before your start date.

For more information consult the UK Government’s ATAS webpages.

Pay your fee deposit

If you apply to study on a one-year taught masters degree and need a visa to study in the UK, you'll need to pay a tuition fee deposit in order to receive a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) for your visa application.

You must meet all offer conditions and receive an unconditional offer before paying your deposit. 

See our frequently asked questions on tuition fee deposits.

Apply for your visa

If you need a tier 4 student visa to study in the UK, you will be issued with a CAS document, which will be sent to you by email. A CAS can only be issued when you have received and firmly accepted an unconditional offer. If you are a taught masters student, you will need to pay your deposit before we can issue your CAS number for your visa application.

The earliest your CAS number can be issued is four months before your course start date. The earliest you can apply for your visa is three months prior to your course start date.

If you hold a full tuition fee scholarship or are fully sponsored, your fee deposit may be waived. See our frequently asked questions page for more information. 

For more information, please see the International Office's seven step visa process.

The International Office

Our dedicated International Office provides support with everything from visa applications to helping you settle in. Their website includes country specific information for many of the world’s countries.

Staff regularly travel to countries around the world to meet with applicants and offer holders. For details of upcoming events, please see the International Office website. 

For information on contacting the International Office:

International Office


Admissions Office

University of Nottingham
Gatehouse Lodge
Wollaton Hall Drive
Derby Road
Nottingham, NG8 1AF

telephone: +44 (0) 115 951 4749
PG email: