Working in the UK


You may wish to take on part-time work to meet new friends and earn extra money while you are studying in the UK.

However, as an international or EU student there are some important rules and regulations to be aware of.  



Working in the UK

Most international students on courses of more than six months are given Tier 4 visas that allow them to work part-time. This means:

  • up to 20 hours work a week during term time
  • full-time work during your vacation periods*

*Recognised vacation periods are different depending on the course you are studying. Postgraduate students should check with an immigration adviser before undertaking full-time work.

Please note if you are studying a course below UK degree level, such as a Foundation Course or an English Language course at CELE, you are only allowed to work 10 hours per week.

Please be aware that if you require a Tier 4 student visa, you will not be able to rely upon expected income from part–time work in order to demonstrate how you will afford to live and study in the UK. 
For further information on working please see:

Students holding short-term study visas are not able to work in the UK.

EU students working in the UK

EU students and staff do not require a visa to work in the UK for the foreseeable future. Following on from the result of the Brexit, we anticipate no change for at least two years while exit negotiations are underway. The UK Government has invoked Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty in March 2017 and begun the process of leaving the EU, a two-year period of negotiation has commenced.

Throughout this period, the UK will maintain all aspects of its current EU Membership. Any changes to working rights in the UK will be decided by the UK government as part of these negotiations and we will keep you updated on any policy changes.

Croatian nationals currently are required to regsiter for permission to work in the UK. Full details are confirmed in our guidance (opposite) on working during your studies.

Working after your studies

In some cases, students can stay in the UK after completing a degree course and take on paid employment.

Further information is available in:


Further Support

Several departments within the University can help you find a job during and after your studies:

International Student Recruitment

C Floor, YANG Fujia Building
Jubilee Campus, Wollaton Road
Nottingham, NG8 1BB, UK

t: +44 (0) 115 951 5247
f: +44 (0) 115 951 5155
e: Contact us by email